Wednesday, 23 October 2013

Wedding DIY: The finishing touches


The last of my wedding posts! I am definitely suffering from post-wedding blues so thought I would share some more of the things I made for our wedding day...


Tables
Our tables each had a vintage willow pattern jug/teapot/canister filled with flowers that we found in charity shops and on ebay. The teacup candles I made myself using an online tutorial - they were actually really quite easy to do and looked very pretty on the day - the wax and wicks were all from ebay.

Each table also had a pile of love-themed books and was named after a place Jon and I had visited (lots of charity shop visits for these!).
The top table was Bruges after where we got engaged - I was so pleased to find these china cats on my travels too - as I couldn't bring Bobcat and Birdie to the wedding these little kitties joined us on the top table instead (crazy cat lady status confirmed!).

The table name holders were another nifty DIY - I spray painted normal binder clips blue, then when they were dry clipped the table name in and then removed the metal 'arms'. Et voila! Cheap and cheerful settings that matched the rest of the decor.

























Settings & Menus
 Each place setting also had a handmade menu, these were easy to print out and the little hand drawn Menu motif meant everything was co-ordinated (I think I have an obsession!), it also meant I could make a special menu for the children and guests with special dietary needs.
The Table Plan was again all  handmade - using an extra large canvas I hand lettered our table names and guest names in the matching colour scheme - all the materials for this were easy to pick up from Hobbycraft. I would recommend buying a very small, cheap canvas for practise before you draw on the real thing!

























Favours & Kids Activities
Alongside an individual menu, each place setting had a wedding favour that doubled up as a name card.
These little bags were another ebay find, inside we placed some Haribo Cherries - apt for the wedding of Mr and Mrs Cherry after all! I printed out hearts with each guests name on and cut them all out by hand to stick on the front of the little packets - the back was stuck down with a co-ordinating blue and white washi tape.
So easy but really pretty - and much more economical than expensive wedding favours you see online.

Another thing I added to the tables was an activity booklet for the children. With the matching pink heart on the front, each page had a different activity to keep the little ones entertained e.g. wordsearch, colouring in and a separate sheet where they could draw a picture for the bride and groom to keep :)
We also set up a table of masks, paper, stickers, crayons, balloons and jewellery to make sure there was no chance of them getting bored. There were some I-Spy sheets too with things they would see around the venue - such as 'a lady in a white dress and pink shoes', 'a couple dancing' - with some mini chocolate bars as prizes if they spotted them all.
It was great to know the kids all had a great time - and we got lots of lovely comments from happy parents which was really, really nice!

























Cakes and Signs
I also turned my hand to making some signs for outside the venue, using marker pens on board this was pretty but also practical for directing people to our barn building off the beaten track! The bunting was all handmade too, blue and white fabric brightened up the beamed walls and front porch - cutting them with pinking shears meant I did not need to hem or back the scallops. A quicker way to get the desired effect!

Another handy hint is to make your own cake stand if you can't find one to match your theme. I did just that. With the abundance of willow pattern crockery I acquired I already had to hand a large dinner plate and a sugar bowl... by upturning the sugar bowl and using ceramic glue to secure the two together we were left with a stand perfectly matched to our table decorations.

And while we are on the subject of cake, I knew I didn't want a massive traditional wedding cake so called upon the fabulous Scarlett's Secret to bake us these rose piped cupcakes. I did however want a cake to cut into so set about baking one myself! This 3 tiered sponge cake was really easy to make and even more so due to the fact I used a ready-made frosting from a local cake supply shop so that I knew would survive the day. Instead of a traditional topper I picked up some white roses from Hobbycraft, gathered them together and trimmed the wire stems before securing on top of the cake.


I absolutely loved planning the details of our wedding and making so many of the little details myself. I can of course be commissioned to help you with any of the illustrated details of your wedding too - email me at mail@stacieswift.com for enquiries - and help me fill the wedding shaped hole in my life!
xx

2 comments:

  1. Looks lovely! I'm creating my own designs for my wedding too, you've really inspired me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is super impressive! I am in love with this DIY wedding table decoration. I want to have a creative DIY ceremony at beachside wedding venues in Atlanta. Have started planning my big day and finding unique DIY ideas. Hope to get them soon.

    ReplyDelete