Friday, 1 March 2013

Friday Favourite: Ginger Pickle


One of the best things about Twitter is getting to know lovely, talented and creative people you might not otherwise know in 'real life'.

Jade Murray from Ginger Pickle fits right into this category! Based in Scotland, Ginger Pickle is an online boutique filled with lots of lovely things plus illustrations and handmade jewellery crafted by Jade herself. We've been Twitter friends for a while and I am very pleased to share a peek behind the scenes...




Describe your creative process… do you keep sketchbooks or mood boards?

Whatever I am working on, it always starts with a sketch! I have an honours degree in fine art, so I have pretty much been conditioned to work this way. I find it the most productive way of getting your ideas down, and you can look back on your sketchbook a month later and a new idea springs from old drawings.  I’ve never used mood boards, but it seems like a fab idea when designing a collection so I may have to give this a go.


What is your desk or work space like?
I still live with my parents so my room is also my work studio, which isn’t ideal as it’s pretty small! I do my artwork, drawings, and some jewellery making here, but my geometric collection has to be made out in the shed as it’s really messy! My shed is a rotten old thing but it has a good table for me to work on and it has plugs and lights! The only thing is it has no windows so there is no natural light so I hate working in there during the winter as it just feels so dingy, but I have to work with what I have. At least this way I am saving money instead of spending it on studio rent. 



What are your must-read blogs?
LLYMLRS-http://www.llymlrs.com

Which piece of work or item in your shop are you most pleased with?

My Wooden Creatures Collection is my favourite, it’s fun and everyone has a soft spot for cute animals so it’s really popular too! When I designed the owls I loved them, they’re so cute and sleepy! 



What are your favourite shops for handmade items?
As well as selling my own work, I sell other UK based designers work in my shop too! I think it’s pretty neat but i’m probably a bit biased! 
This shop makes personalised baby teethers in all kinds of shapes made from wood. I bought a whale shaped one, it’s so cute and eco friendly.
A gorgeous array of silver stacking rings with the most beautiful gemstones. I got a custom set made for my Christmas and I wear it all the time.
I love Etsy in general, it’s a fab marketplace and you can find so many great shops on there!


Do you have any pets? Stacie Swift Illustration loves furry (and not so furry!) friends.

Me and my boyfriend own two turtles called Freddy and Gordon. This is them when we first got them as babies, they where tiny but now they are BIG! They eat loads and are really cheeky and try to bite anything and everything because they think it’s food. They like to bask under a hot lamp and swim about in lots of water. Living the life really!

You can find more of Jade (and Freddy & Gordon!) on her Twitter and Facebook page and don't forget to pop over to the Ginger Pickle shop for a browse!

And if you'd want more of an insight into how I work, Jade did a ten question feature on Stacie Swift Illustration over on her blog - so you can read that too right here :)

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment