Friday, 18 January 2013

Friday Favourites: Dresses by Kayla's Homemade

This week's shop is one of my brand new handmade favourites. Kayla's Homemade sells the most beautiful dresses for little girls, super pretty fabrics and timeless designs. I love them all!

Kayla, the lady behind these fabulous frocks, was kind enough to answer the Friday Favourites questions...



Describe your creative process… do you keep sketchbooks or mood boards?
Whenever I think about what dress to make, I always think of the colours first. I really like colours to co-ordinate well, I'm a bit scared of clashing the colours!
In order to do this I surround myself with all my fabric, picking out colours I like the look of together. I find that's the best way to get my dresses started - to visualise the colours first.
I have a sketch book of sorts, I cannot draw at all, so they really are just sketches that probably don't even resemble a dress, but I know what I mean!





What is your work space like?
My workspace is a sweet little corner in my living room, right by the patio doors, so I have plenty of light! Having three children, our house is crammed full, so my dreams of a whole room to myself are on hold for a few years yet! I have my sewing machine, my tins of buttons and huge box of trims on my desk. I also occupy one sofa, with my laptop and a pouffe full of fabric! Going up the stairs I have another chest of drawers full of all my vintage fabric that I like to collect! I will eventually take over the house, I'm sure!


What are your must-read blogs?
I spend a lot of time in BlogLand, but the ones I like to go back to often are -
http://www.littlepinkmonster.com/
http://scientificseamstress.blogspot.co.uk/
http://whimsycoutureboutique.blogspot.co.uk/
http://rubyjeanscloset.blogspot.co.uk/
http://belleandboo.blogspot.co.uk/

Which item in your shop are you most pleased with?
Now that is a tough one!
Every dress I make gives me butterflies once its finished, and I hang them up and just wish I could keep them all! It doesn't help that I have an almost 3 year old who fits into most of them! I think, if I had to choose though, it would be the dresses I make from vintage fabrics, because they are so unique and special.

I enjoy the process of searching for vintage fabrics and then turning them into something a little girl can wear. Its giving them new life and a new purpose and of course its upcycling at its best! I also love the red riding hood patchwork dress I've just made!





What are your favourite shops for handmade items?


Of course it would have to be Etsy, you can find anything on there if you look hard enough! But I have also made lots of friends on Facebook with other small business owners. Each day, I keep up with their daily makes, worries and successes and always find something to buy if a special occasion is coming up or just for me! There are so many talented people out there and such a wide variety of handmade treasures! You really have no excuse not to buy handmade!
  
If you have a pet, Stacie Swift Illustration is a big fan of four legged (and other!) friends so would be great to feature them too!
 

A pet? Well I have 4 rabbits named Rosie, Honey, Frodo and Peter! And also 4 guinea pigs named Summer, Bluebell, Matilda and Daisy! So they keep me busy certainly!


 If you love Kayla's dresses as much as I do click through to her shop or facebook page for new dresses and updates.

xx

1 comment:

  1. what a talented girl kayla is. what beautiful unique dresses she makes. unique in the sense that they are one of a kind and so obviously made with love. a busy mother of three little girls who somehow can make time to create such works of art. well done kayla.

    ReplyDelete