It wasn't until I started uploading these recipes that I realised I seem to have a bit of a thing for lemons. Who knew!?
This recipe is a surefire winner; it's easy, it's tasty and one my favourite things is that it's simple to transport because the drizzle icing doesn't go everywhere like buttercream and frosting do.
I doubled all of the ingredients and made two of these - one packaged up in paper as a gift for a lovely lady called Kit who was celebrating her 92nd birthday! I think you deserve lots of cake when you reach your 90s...
To make one cake you will need:
-225g unsalted butter
-225g self raising flour
-225g caster sugar
-Lemon zest (I used 2 small lemons)
-85g caster sugar
- Put the oven on to 180c and line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar until pale. Add in the eggs, one at a time, and mix through.
- Sift in the flour and add in the lemon zest, mix together and then pop into the loaft tin
- Leave in the oven for about 40-50mins
- Once out of the oven, prick all over with a fork. Combine the lemon juice and caster sugar and then pour the drizzle mix all over the prickled cake.
- Wait until the cake has cooled and then remove from the loaf tin.