Thursday, 27 October 2011

“And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”





“And will you succeed?

Yes indeed, yes indeed!

Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”


Sometimes I think we all need reminding that success is within our reach - particularly as a fledgling freelance illustrator it is worth remembering that it is all possible! Today more than most has been one of those days where I needed to remind myself of my successes as I found out I didn't get an illustration job that I wanted a ridiculous amount.




A few weeks ago I received the most exciting email ever from the book publisher Harper Collins. One of the Senior Editors had seen my work online and was keen for me to send samples over for a book that is being published about dogs. The brief was to create a series of black and white line drawings of different breeds of dogs to accompany a guide on dog training. Here are my samples: In the end althought the editor really liked my work the author would like to go in a slightly different direction illustration wise ...and so the rejection email landed in my inbox. Gutted doesn't quite cover how I felt (feel!) about it.


The good news is that I am being kept in mind for future projects and am reassured that there is a market out there for my illustration. Just got to keep sticking to it!! And I guess that this really is the life of a freelance illustrator, there's going to be the downs as well as the ups so I am picking myself up, dusting down my pens and am onto the next project.


I'd be interested to hear if you've experienced something similar and what you do about the 'no thank yous'?


As ever , it isn't all bad news and I do have some more exciting things to tell you about so will share some happier posts (including details of the Smug Pop Up Print Shop Private View!) over the weekend.


Chin up chickens!


xx




















3 comments:

  1. Bad luck Stacie, as I look at it, if you're in the running you're just as good as the people that actually get the job. I try and forget the 'you're not what we're looking for' bit and remember the 'we love your portfolio' haha xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty sure most illustrators and artists will go through it at some point in their career. At least they were kind enough to email you back about it and give you their feedback.
    I had an email about a really exciting job and I replied back saying I was up for it.... and never even heard back from them! booo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, guess it's all part and parcel of the job. Sure there are lots of good opportunities waiting to happen... Keep telling myself everything happens for a reason! xx

    ReplyDelete